Term 2 - Lesson 11

Our final lesson of the term was about putting modes in to context. We started off by learning the chords to 'Good Times' by Chic which were Em, E7, A7 and A6 and they looked like this.

                                             
I got in to the rhythm well -  keeping that funk strumming pattern is easy for me so I enjoyed it. At first I struggled with the chord changes but I got used to them fairly quickly.

The next task was to find a scale that would work over the top of it. We figured out that the key of this song is D because it uses an A7. Because the first chord is an E minor we were able to use an E Dorian scale, starting on the 12th fret of the bottom string and we had a go soloing in that. Similarly we could use a Mixolydian D scale starting on the fifth fret of the bottom string. At first I just ran up and down the scales while somebody played the chords to get familiar with the notes and then as I became more confident I was able to add hammer ons and slides in. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Term 3 - Lesson 4

Term 3 - Lesson 1