Guitar Lesson 31/10/2016

In today's lesson we recapped on what we did before half term. We reminded each other of the warm ups we did and practised them for a little while. I am finding the mechanical exercise easier since I practised it over half term. We also learned another chromatic scale which involved moving back a fret as you go up the strings. I liked this one as I felt it was a good challenge, especially trying to go back down the strings. It sounds a lot nicer to play than the other exercises too!

We discussed our equipment for the second part of the lesson, including what equipment we'd like to have in the future. One of he important things when buying a guitar is the type of wood it is made from so we thought about what woods our guitars were made of. My Ibanez is a solid mahogany body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It is painted and lacquered heavily so I think that affects the tone. In the future I would like a Fender Strat with an alder and an in-lacquered maple neck. For me this is the classic strat, and strats are so versatile that they are a must in any guitarist's collection. It would have 3 single coil pickups so that I can play a wide range of genres with the right tones. My other guitars both have humbuckers so I think I need some single coils in my collection. It would also have a whammy bar which I haven't had before so that would be fun to experiment with.

For acoustic guitars I would love a Faith because they use very exotic woods. The particular model I would like has a very light lacquer which I feel doesn't restrict the sound. The company also hand finish a lot of their components which is important to me - if I'm paying a lot of money for a guitar I want it to have character, rather than it being spit out a machine.

We thought about amps too. I currently have a Roland Cube but I would definitely love a Marshall in the future! Valve is a much more natural sound, sometimes the digital stuff can be overwhelming on a guitar in my opinion.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Term 3 - Lesson 4

Term 2 - Lesson 11

Term 3 - Lesson 1