Guitar Lesson - 5/12/2016

Today we recapped over everything we've done this term because had to start filming our video assessments. We warmed up using the chromatic scale and the mechanical chords and made sure we knew what woods our guitars are made of.

Warm up 1: Chromatic

E |-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|-4-3-2-1------------------------------------------------|
B |---------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|---------4-3-2-1----------------------------------------|
G |-----------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|-------------------4-3-2-1------------------------------|
D |-------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------|-----------------------------4-3-2-1--------------------|
A |----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------|---------------------------------------4-3-2-1----------|
E | 1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-|

Warm up 2: Mechanical

E |-1---4---2---5---3---6---4---7---5---8---|
B |-2---3---3---4---4---5---5---6---6---7---|
G |-3---2---4---3---5---4---6---5---7---6---| and so on...
D |-4---1---5---2---6---3---7---4---8---5---|
A |----------------------------------------------|
E | ----------------------------------------------|


I filmed my video assessment and I think it was successful however I feel that maybe I rushed it a little. If I had had more of a script then it would've been easier because I was conscious of running out of things to say.

I started my video with warm ups, repeating the two we rehearsed at the beginning of the lesson and explaining why they are helpful: to stretch out finger muscles and prevent any injuries, as well as improve dexterity. Not warming up in the long run can cause conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and repetitive strain injury which can ultimately stop you playing guitar. The mechanical warm up in particular can be good for preparing to play chords. You can further develop that one and start from the 6th string and mute the high E and B.

Then I talked about maintenance, explaining that you have to clean your guitar and change your strings at least every 3 to 4 months to keep it sounding bright and new. You may need to adjust your truss rod if your guitar isn't feeling right however you have to be careful because messing about with it can potentially break it. I partially demonstrated how to adjust the truss rod by putting an allen key in to the top of my guitar and I talked about which way to turn the allen key.

Finally I talked about my equipment. My Fender Telecaster has a maple neck and an alder body which I like because it is lighter than mahogany. My guitar has two single coils pick ups and the selector enables me to switch between them whenever I like. I have two pots - volume and tone. I use the neck pick up for mellower songs and the bridge pick up for rockier stuff. A combination of both is a good all-rounder. I feel that this guitar is great at replicating the correct sound for funk music, which is what my band play on Wednesdays.

I was relatively pleased with my video assessment today but I think now that I have a better idea of what to do and how to go about it, I might re-record it next week to include even more detail and be clearer with what I'm talking about. For instance, how to clean your fretboard, what strings I use and why. I feel I could more sure of what I'm talking about too, rather than saying um a lot... In preparation for next week I will write out a proper plan of what I will say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Term 3 - Lesson 4

Term 2 - Lesson 11

Term 3 - Lesson 1